When converting physical or virtual machines, VMware Converter 5 can be extremely slow. I had a 260 GB physical Windows 2003 box in a P2V job that was estimated to last 9 days. Yikes. The transfer rate was a running- in-mud 440 kbps.
By default, the converter is encrypting data during the conversion. This is the main problem with the speed. The other adjustment I made was changing the conversion job settings to thin provision the new virtual disks. By combining the two changes, throughput for the job increased from 440 KBps to between 15-21 MBps and dropped the duration from 216 hours to 5.
To turn off encryption in VMware Converter 5:
Optional tool: Microsoft XML Notepad 2007. This makes it much easier to find the specific entry in the XML file.
- Stop any running conversions
- Find the converter-worker.xml file. (%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone/)
- Open the file with Microsoft XML Notepad
- Edit the following key. Change to “false”
5. Save the file.
6. Restart the “VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Worker” service